Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Midday Treat

Last week, during my fabulous spring break, I decided to make cupcakes. Funfetti cupcakes with strawberry frosting. It doesnt get much better than that, if I do say so myself. However, I had a hidden agenda for the delicious cupcakes.
You see, Steve has been getting picked on at work. Even though hes fairly high up in the ranking, hes a nice guy... I think you understand. So I was making cupcakes to take to work, hoping he would become the cool kid. (He hasnt really been getting picked on... it all started several months ago with a story from Padres about a new guy who brought in cupcakes and milk to a bunch of men in the office - totally childish. And everyone in Steves office laughed it off. It is funny. But dont knock it til you try it.)
So I made the cupcakes, frosted them, ran to the store for some milk, and embarked to Annex Brands Inc. to deliver the treat. I walked in, identified myself, and was led to Steves office, which I had never seen. A woman was standing in the doorway, but she was no wall, so I entered the office (which by the way had TWO computer screens sitting side by side on his desk - I thought that only happened in the movies) and said "You forgot your lunch this morning!" He looked at me with a puzzled look. Yes, this was the moment. The unveiling.
I took off the lid that was hiding the cupcakes. He started laughing. We gathered quite the crowd as I explained to him that maybe NOW people would look at him at the "cool kid." I brought the milk out of the bag and opened up some paper cups. He laughed harder. Well, we may have been laughing because it was hilarious to us, but those three, four, women to had gathered at the door didnt care why they were there - they wanted a cupcake. We then proceeded to round the office, dispersing the remaining cupcakes.
These are adults people. Yes. They may have been laughing a while ago, but that day, when they had cupcakes in their hands, nobody was laughing. And needless to say, I think Steve is now the cool kid of the office. He wont get picked on anymore - hopefully not at least. He is the Vice President, after all.
I left the office and laughed almost the whole way home. I kinda figured people would want a cupcake, but I didnt expect everyone to get so excited! So tip to you all, you want to be liked in your workplace? Make some cupcakes. No matter how old people are, or what diet theyre on, they wont dare turn down a cupcake.
I was thinking of going to my moms work to take a few.... then I thought, I should make something that isnt so sweet. It might be bad if they were passing cupcakes around a dental office - even though we all know dentists eat chocolate too! So. I gotta rethink my midday treat for her.... and I have to decide which office to take it to... But no matter where I am - I know people will get excited! And maybe then Mom will be the cool kid in her office too!

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHA that is the best story ever!! You are so sweet. I bet he LOVED that you did that!!

    ReplyDelete