Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Morning Glory

I love mornings.

I love waking early to witness a beautiful sunrise, feeling grateful for a new day, a fresh start...
I love listening to the birds chirping outside my window, singing a chipper morning song...
I love the sun creeping in through the windows, announcing its arrival for a new day...
I love smelling hot coffee, which lures me out of bed to taste its yummy goodness...
I love hearing crackling bacon, beckoning me to investigate a delicious breakfast cooking...
I love taking a hot shower to feel refreshed, prepared for whatever the day holds...
I love choosing my outfit, allowing it to set my mood for the rest of the day...
I love knowing everyone on the road is going to a similar destination - work (and they probably arent super happy about it either)...
I love offering an upbeat "Good Morning!" to everyone I come in contact to - you can only do that until 11 or 12, you know...

At least thats what I keep reciting to myself
as I wake up each morning lately.

The truth is... and this may be a complete shocker to you - if you dont know me -
I hate mornings.

I have even discussed this in a previous blog before. I hate waking up. I hate hearing the birds chirping. I hate that the sun has found ways into my room. I hate physically getting up. I hate leaving my warm, cozy bed to be exposed to the cold, harsh air. I hate getting dressed - the pressure to choose an outfit becomes overwhelming sometimes. (It is not uncommon for me to express my frustrations with Adam and Eve for eating that fruit... because of that act, we are forced to wear clothes each day. But thats another conversation.)

Lately I have been working mornings. Let me reiterate, in case you slept through the beginning of this post... I hate mornings. But its not just that I dont like them, it is also that I am not made for operating in the morning. I was not created to function properly in the mornings. I cant help it. Ive heard it is possible to trick your brain into (or out of) something and it can become normal... Therefore, I have tried to have a positive attitude about mornings, convincing myself of the good aspects of mornings... but this positivity is short lived. Being positive about something I am so negative about is just not an easy task. I found it would take even more energy to have a good attitude... and I needed to save my energy for actually getting up and getting ready.

Anyways. I get to work and for some reason, God has put me in a place where every person is a "Good Morning!" type of person. So people are smiling and chipper all around me and I just want to growl and do my job... until about 10 oclock when I can start to think clear enough to have an understandable conversation. But the past few days, the early mornings have drained me for the entire day. Even by noon, I still cant think clearly, Im stumbling over my words, I feel like Im moving in slow motion, and doing what needs to be done seems unreasonably difficult. Just as an example of what I am talking about - A woman called asking what vaccines we require for an animal to stay with us. "Bordetella, Rabies, and Distemper Parvo" I tell her. Short jibber jabber and were done. Not 5 minutes later, I hear my manager on the phone "the feline vaccine and Rabies." Apparently I told the woman dog vaccines when she had a cat. There were many more of these types of situations. Luckily my manager laughed pretty hard and wasnt irritated with my blatant mistake. Ive been wearing 2 different socks - repeatedly cuz I dont feel like taking the extra time to find matching ones. These are how my days have been going. And I barely make it home, where I sit down and never want to get up again. These mornings are killing me!!!!

I know I should be grateful because I am incredibly blessed. And I am grateful. Mornings truly are a blessing. I am blessed I was given another day. I am blessed I dont have to wake up earlier than I do. I am blessed to have a cup of coffee to help wake me up, (which I have discovered really does make a difference). I am blessed to have hot water for a shower... if I decide to wake up even earlier to take one. I am blessed to have a job to go to where I can make money and get hours. I try not to take it all for granted, but I know I do.

I cant promise that I will have a better attitude and constantly be positive about the mornings... I cant promise that because I know it wont last. But for now, I will remind myself of the beauty of mornings in the small things - that really arent that small at all. Like a sunrise. The radiance and bliss of a glorious sunrise is the perfect reminder of the magnificent day the Lord has created.

"...they are like the new grass of the morning: In the morning it springs up new, but by evening it is dry and withered." - Psalm 90:5-6

1 comment:

  1. hahaha... I totally was reading this thinking, she does NOT like this stuff, she does NOT like mornings, I'M the one who likes this stuff!! And then I got to the part where you said you hate that stuff, and I laughed and was all, oh there we go. :) I love you C. You're unique and I love you for it. God made you perfect! You're probably typically much more awake and happy at 3pm than I am. I hate 3pm. I'm always so tired and it means the evening is coming. Haha. Just to make you feel a little better.

    ReplyDelete