Monday, July 4, 2011

The Power of a Bee

Today, I celebrated the Fourth of July by working, swimming, soaking in the sun, grilling/eating, hanging with family, and watching fireworks. I love fireworks. They bring me such intrigue and excitement. I really cant explain my interest in fireworks, but I feel it is a common American love.... and I came to this conclusion as we passed many many people sitting on the side of the road, in anticipation for the firework show. This is a day where people - common people, average Joes - can come together to celebrate the many years this country has been standing. A day where people can be thankful for the men and women who fight for our freedom on a daily basis, including those who have lost their lives protecting our privileges, which many people have come to believe are rights. A day to share in something we all have in common - being American citizens, being patriotic. I could go on and on. I never cease to realize how blessed I am to live in a country where I can have opinions and share them, can go to church and not be tortured.... the list goes on. But I will digress... and move on. Not because I think this country and the men and women in uniform arent worth it, but because I am passionate about the topic and often get carried overboard. And we never know where that could lead...

As I lazily floated around the pool this afternoon, I encountered several bees. Or maybe they were all the same bee. Unfortunately, I am no bee guru and therefore cant tell them from one another. Anyways. Thats besides the point. Each time, my reflexes worked quicker than my brain. I flinched, I slightly screamed, I splashed - I did whatever I had to to save myself. I mean. Those things sting you. It may sound silly, but the insects/bugs/whatever that people are most afraid of are spiders and wasps/bees. [I may have made that up on the spot, but its not like it doesnt sound believable!]

I am the person who probably possibly causes bees to sting. Thats disputable, but Ive been told I show symptoms of someone who is "asking" for a bee to sting them. Similar to encountering a lion or bear, how you are supposed to be still and not move a lot to aggravate or excite the animal to attack, it has been said that you are supposed to remain still to not anger the bee. And if need be - assume the fetal position. I dont totally know about the first part, but every time I am in the company of others and a bee approaches me and I run away, flailing my arms amd screaming in paranoia, I am told to remain calm and refrain from making sudden movements. Not that I see the bee going after that person! No! Its coming after me. Try to remain calm when its staring you straight in the eye, taunting you with its little stinger.

As I had a few close calls with Mr Bee today (probably Mr Bee, Bee Jr, and Baby Bee or something) I began to realize something. Bees are one of the smaller bugs in the bug family, yet they hold a lot of power. People are often swatting at them when they buzz near them. Why? Not like a fly where they are just plain annoying, they have an ability to hurt you. In some cases of people being allergic, they have the potential to kill. Ill ask this question only once - why wouldnt you swat away a bee knowing that??? Buncha crazies out there. Back to my realization. They really do hold a lot of power. As humans, we are capable of committing horrible crimes against humanity (just watch Criminal Minds or something if you dont believe me). We are powerful beings. Yet we can be overpowered by something small like a bee. An insufficient bee. [Although, for those of you who have seen Bee Movie, you will remember that bees are not insufficient.... in fact, they contribute a lot to our society with their pollination patterns. If all the bees in the world were to suddenly die, flowers would cease to exist. Dont believe me? Watch Bee Movie. And of course, I believe everything I watch - especially animated movies.]

This post may seem extreme in thought, as in "Carly that is a little crazy (extreme) to give bees that much power." But think about it. Bees DO possess a lot of power. Of course, humans are typically the ones who give it to them, but still. I think you now understand my thought here.

Things you never dared to consider....
until you opened a page to my blog....

No comments:

Post a Comment