Friday, November 4, 2011

Criteria for my Husband

Last night I got to talk to my mom. We updated each other on what has been going on in each others lives, since we both are so busy and only get to talk at night, we dont get to talk nearly as often as wed like. So our conversations consist of the weeks events, all the way to what were doing at that moment. I always ask about our animals, and she always has stories to tell me about them.

In case youre just tuning in to my blog, and dont know anything about me, let me tell you something that you might not guess. I know this will be a shocker - especially with my pawprints background - but I love animals. My animals are my life. My family is centered on my animals. We are always concerned with what theyre doing, how theyre doing, where they are, what they need, loving on them, spoiling them... They are our lives.

Especially Sammy. Our sweet doofy Newfy. Ever since my baby Casey passed, Sammy has become our main priority. We take him on errands with us, we make him follow us (though he does that on his own nowadays), we sit with him while he eats, we give him treats as we make them for ourselves.... Seriously, this dog is pretty spoiled. But hes a big boy - no little man syndrome, thinking hes better than all the other dogs at the beach. Hes a sweet, sweet dog.

Yesterday, my mom was telling me how he had decided not to eat in the morning. Unfortunately, she had to go to work, so she had asked Steve to feed him before he headed out to work. Apparently, later on in the day, my mom received a message from Steve saying he had gone into work at noon instead of the morning because Sammy wasnt eating his breakfast and seemed a little down. So he decided it would be best if he hung out with our dog for the morning. Im sure this was sure a treat for Sammy as he loves Steve. So any time spent with him cheers that ol boy right up! My mom said Sam seemed more chipper when she checked on him at her lunch hour.
As she told me what Steve did and how he stayed home from work a little longer than he was supposed to - for our dog - two things came to mind. Well, three, I suppose.

One. I am so glad Steve has a job that allows him to do something like that. Its not like he was just handed this job either, he has worked for it and he continues to be the hardest working guy at that place. If he wants to take a day off to play tennis or go in late to take care of our dog, he deserves to be able to!

Second. I am so thankful for Steve and what he brings to our family. Without him, we wouldnt have so much of what we do and we wouldnt have the life we have. We would miss out on so much.

Third. I want my husband to be like that. I want to marry a guy who will put something on hold to care for our "children." And Im sure, there will be times in my household where the animals may get priority over everyone else. But I want my husband to have a caring heart like Steves, where he recognizes the importance of family and the significance of my animals. Where he decides work can wait a little while to make sure our dog is feeling ok and isnt depressed or anything. I want my husband to be like that.

1 comment: