Sunday, September 27, 2009

Flying Control

It has been several days since I have written, but I have been wanting to write about a certain experience I had several weeks ago now. That experience was going to a wedding in Northern California. You may think I am going to write about the wedding itself, which I may mention, but this blog is about the journey of getting there.
I am not a fan of flying. I used to love it. I would silently squeal when I felt weightless for the three seconds right after take-off. But I no longer experience that terrifying moment as a thrill.
For my first flight, going up there, they delayed the boarding process for quite some time due to some type of a leak the pilot was concerned about. I would rather switch to a plane that is leakless rather than ride on a plane that may or may not be spilling fuel all the way to Sacramento area. I feel as if that would be considered murder-suicide by the pilot. But, all seemed well as we boarded the plane. Understand that one time, I boarded a plane that literally had duct tape on the inside of the plane. Terrified that that was what was holding the multi-ton object together, I threatened myself to get off. After several minutes of debating whether or not it would be worth it to deal with finding another flight, or risk my life with a plane held together by duct tape, I realized the duct tape was actually holding a tube, which ran from one of the overhead containers down to a woman with an oxygen mask. Crisis averted... This time. The stories I could share about my plane experiences are limitless. Including a rookie pilot, which I would bet my life on the fact we were probably his test group, as well as a sudden drop that made me truly concerned that I would soon be facing judgment day. Moving on.
The trip was wonderful. There, of course, were some funny and interesting moments that occurred. At one point I fell while walking down a street in Sac town at about 10 at night. Glorious. Or rather, graceful. Anyways. It was a short, yet sweet trip. Sunday we all headed home. Me on my plane, my family on theirs. However, they deboarded due to a crack in the engine. Huh. How ironic. Hopefully they checked my plane for cracks in the engine. Well, the flight wasnt too horrible. But flying is still not on my list of favorite things. Letting go of my control is not an easy thing for me. And to trust someone else to get me somewhere... Its nerve wracking. I might feel more comfortable flying the plane myself. And no, I have no flight experience, but that gives you an idea of me. The entire flight process is something I just cannot grasp. How much does this plane weigh, exactly? And were staying in the air...? Truly, I am in awe, yet feel some things are better left unanswered.
What I found interesting is a mere two days later, while sitting in my New Testament Survey class, my professor began talking about flying. He was just as stumped about the concept as I am. He said, "I just cannot understand how a thing that weighs several tons is able to stay in the air. Can someone truly explain it to me? Truly. Im very interested." And I sat laughing inside. Thinking, you and me both, man. You and me, both. Flying is a chance for people to let go of their control issues... I... am still working on that.

1 comment: