Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Blind for a Bit

I mentioned in my last blog that I was going to be helping Monica with an assignment for a class on Monday (yesterday). Do you remember what it was? NO?! Did you even read the last blog?! Goodness. Well, I pretended to be blind while Monica led me around campus. I decided to blog about it because it truly was a unique experience. Ill share the events of the experiment, then Ill tell you my findings.
Immediately following my last class, Monica met me with a "blindfold" and we embarked to the caf. Our first obstacle was walking down the stairs of James. The steep stairs. A guy had opened the door just as I got there and held it open for us as we made our way down the stairs. He was the nicest person we encountered the entire time. She told me I had 4 steps to walk down and he began helping me also, verbally. Telling me, "Youre just about there and then you have 4 straight after another." Luckily, I had been down James before. But man, those steps were steep.
We walked to the caf, slid our cards to get in, then began searching for a table. Well, I held on to Monica while she searched for a table. We saw some friends; ok, I did not see them, but I heard them and they were cracking up. I mustve been a sight, but I didnt care. It was for the good of the class. We found a table, put our stuff down, and went to find food. I waited in line with Monica while she got food, then she made me a milkshake. (Im fasting during a certain part of the day.) But she made me stir the milkshake and do a majority of the making.
In the meanwhile, she asked a friend to record the whole thing. I had no idea he was actually following us around while I was doing this, but I came to find out he was. Once we completed the milkshake, we sat down and had our little lunch and then continued on our way out the door.
Our next stop was to the ARC (Academic Resource Center) to see if they had acquired any Organic Chemistry tutors. I think the lady I was talking to thought I was insane, but she answered my questions and was [not] super helpful. (Apparently they still arent ready to be making appointments.... Ill be stopping in again, today.) I then ran into the door walking out of the ARC.
We walked down to the basement of James - to the Kinesiology offices for Monica to ask a question. Those steps are steep too. Basically, I feel all of James should be burnt down. Its a total hazard. We found her professor, who began talking to her (and definitely acknowledged me, dont worry) about a project she would soon be doing. A class let out and people began walking by, once I had successfully landed on a couch against the wall in the hall. (Good thing that hadnt gone anywhere.) Someone said hi to me... I asked who they were... (Which happened several times during the day.)
Walking back up the stairs, Monica ran into the wall, trying to be concerned with if I was walking ok. Apparently, those stairwells are not made for 2 people to walk them side-by-side. We went back to our apartment, dropped off our stuff, then walked across the street. This is the ultimate test for me. I hate walking by streets, across streets, etc. I get nervous with all the rushing cars. But she did very well with me. It was a good test of friendship, that crosswalk. Upon returning to the apartment, our experiment/assignment had been concluded.
Monica was a little frustrated by peoples reactions - apparently people had some strange looks on their faces and were making some weird comments... I, of course, could not see their faces and only heard some comments. I was unaffected though by that. I mean, its rude, but obviously Im doing this for a reason. I dont just walk around with a blindfold on for the heck of it. A lot of people had things to say though, asking what we were doing. Even people working in the caf were getting a kick out of it and asking, "Whats going on with the blind girl with you?" So people definitely made things more interesting.
As a blind individual for a short while, I have to say, it was very frustrating. And scary. Having to depend on another for safety and things is not a comforting thing for me. I like to be in control and do things myself. I think sight is one of the most precious things. I would much rather lose my hearing, in all honesty. I might not be able to hear things, but I can see a door I would run into. Though I had an all new appreciation for my senses. I would rely on my other senses - especially hearing. Listening for people around me, cars near me, etc. etc. It was mildly exhausting as I spent all my extra energy on that. I also realized I had absolutely no sense of time being blind. I wouldnt know if it was light or dark, so I had no idea what time it was. I also realized it takes a lot longer than I previously thought to get places. When all you have to think about is walking, and you dont have things to look at around you and you cant see what point youre at, it seems to take a lot longer to get to somewhere.
It was all very interesting. Im glad I did it. It was a whole new world or experience for me. And now. I will leave you with a picture Monica took as I sat across from her. She, unbeknowst to me took it. I would post the video, but I cant make it work. So I hope you get a bit of an understanding of what part of my day looked - er, was - like yesterday.

1 comment: