Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Back to the Basics... or TOUGHics

Well today is my first day of school. Actually, its my 16th first day of school (including kindergarten). I had four classes, beginning at 9 and ending at 1. Microbiology, Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries, Organic Chemistry, and finally Intro to Creative Writing. Luckily, I started the morning in a fairly good mood. I fixed my dreadful self up a little bit and had some coffee in hand as I embarked on my day.
- Microbiology -
I know that class is going to be killer. I have a strong feeling it is going to be a lot of microscope work - which is my very least favorite thing to do. My professor is this Asian man who seems to be kinda funny. A big plus is that I can actually understand him, for the most part, so at least that will be helpful. Then, class was over. We only went over the syllabus, but hey, Im good with that. So I stood up and began getting prepared to leave as the girl in front of me swung her backpack around, knocking my coffee over. The one time I dont immediately close the lid after sipping, and the coffee spills, onto my backpack, into my backpack, onto some of my notebooks. Tragedy had struck. But I tried not to let it bother me, figuring it couldve been worse, and headed to my next class.
- Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries -
This professor has had me concerned. I know a lot of people who say she is very difficult to understand, making her tests even more stressful and difficult. She seems very nice in a classroom setting, but I definitely understand how shes considered confusing. She shared most about the Athletic Training program, which she heads up. I recently changed my plan and am no longer planning to apply for the program, in case you arent a die-hard fan of my blogs and read them every time theyre posted. Then she began informing us of the recent changes that have been made to campus - some that we are aware of, some that we are not. The post has moved to an off-campus location (technically its on campus property, but its not within CBU gates). Where the old post was will now be Athletic Training (class?)rooms. Theres also more Athletic Training rooms in Diana Hall. She also was saying how shes trying to get approval to move our class to Diana Hall. Were all looking at each other puzzled, wondering where in the world Diana Hall is. Turns out its not too far from where the new post is. O good! A change of scenery from campus. No. That would mean I would have to walk from class, out of campus, around to my class, then walk back around the gate, onto campus, then to my next class. I know Im not the only one. So were all praying that her request is denied because we do not want to do that. Besides the fact that I would definitely be late to my classes. We only have 10 minutes to walk it. The last remainder of the class, which ended very early, had me concerned about that request shes waiting to hear about.
- Organic Chemistry -
The class requiring the most expensive books. Not one, not two, but three books. I was already not happy with this class and was already nervous because Chemistry became difficult for me... I can only imagine what Organic Chemistry will be like. My professor seems ok. I didnt get a huge impression of him. He did start lecturing.... in a way I definitely do not like, so I hope that was just because he wanted to go over a few terms or something, meaning next time will be much more structured.
- Creative Writing -
My final class for the day is Creative Writing. The class I am actually really excited for. I need another English credit and I wanted to take something that was much more free-lance, allowing me to have fun and not be so structured. I found I really like my professor, who was this bubbling middle-aged man who is very passionate about his writing. Obviously, creative writing is his favorite class to teach. Our big assignment is to write in a journal for 30-60 minutes daily. I think that will be difficult for me, but I guess it might be more of a release. Allowing me to take a break from my studying and such for my harder classes. But well see.
Each class will definitely be a little difficult in its own way. For sure, they will be time-consuming, and especially if I want to do well in my classes (which is an obvious yes) then I need to study daily to keep up with everything. After all of that, I went to Office Depot to get a few Composition books and another spiral bound notebook (to replace one that had coffee on it now). Then I went to buy books. Which.... I shouldnt even go into. My books are very expensive. I know I am definitely not the only student who encounters this problem, but it is extremely overwhelming for me. Standing in the bookstore, knowing I had to buy a few, I was frustrated and discouraged and trying my very best not to cry. A nice lady tried to help me, telling me about a renting website. I decided to check it out. I bought several books, but decided it would be in my best interest to rent a few others. I rented 3 books. I saved over $375 in doing so. I was very thankful for that lady.
Moving on. I mentioned that there are many changes going on. They are building another cafeteria/cafe thing closer to where I live. That was supposed to be done... its still in progress. Mind you, we have between 1200 and 1400 new students this year. They ran out of housing. They need to do something because the one cafeteria we have now is not going to accommodate everyone. It is crazy at lunch and dinner times - not even able to find a table. They also had a large snowy mountain mural painted in the caf. It... was not the best way to spend money, in every CBU students opinion. There is a large structure around the James building (which houses offices and classrooms). I thought it was to either hold it steady or for painting. Apparently they are finally repairing the roof and that is what is needed to do it. Either way, it still makes me nervous to walk into the building. I feel like its about to collapse. They painted parking spots using white spray paint on grassy areas (including spray-painted arrows directing traffic). We took a picture of it. I think they forgot to pave it over first... of they used the money for that on the mural in the caf. Were all a little confused about that. I think the next step is to create a parking lot on our large front lawn. Needless to say, our school is not looking like the old CBU we all know. It does not look good. Its very strange, to say the least. Well. There isnt any homework to do tonight. So Im enjoying my time before that begins. Our apartment is still in the works of being set up. Ill try to post some pictures of the finished product. For now... thats all to share. Arent you proud of me?! This has been the 3rd or 4th time Ive blogged in a short time! Hope youre enjoying!

No comments:

Post a Comment