Friday, August 12, 2011

The Girl who NEVER cried "Wolf!!!"

If you dont know me very well, then why the heck are you reading my blog?? How did you get here?? Possibly a link from my sisters blog. But no really, if you dont know me very well, let me give you a little incite. I am a joker. I am constantly horsing around, teasing, cracking jokes... of course I never do it with the intention to hurt someone - or myself. Its all in lighthearted fun. More than anything, I crack jokes and tend to be mildly witty in comebacks. So its more that I am a verbal jokester.

I dont usually pretend to fall - all the way to the ground - then pretend to be hurt. Depending on the situation, I dont think thats funny. Basically, I dont joke about injury (unless its a 3 second deal or something minor).

However, in all the years I have been this way - almost 21, to be exact - my mother tends to think my joking personality stretches further than it does. We have several stories that involve me falling, causing injury to myself, sometimes crying, and my mom not believing me in the process. Slightly confused? Ill make it simpler. I fall. She thinks Im kidding. Shell say it makes her sound terrible, but in her defense, I was like a little boy in my childhood... kinda wreckless. And I can see why she would assume Im faking, but after so many falling stories, you would think shed catch on that I really did fall or whatever the case may be...

Last night we were reminded of all the stories we have that we can now laugh about, but may not have been so funny at the time. As we shared our stories with my grandma and aunts, we found ourselves with tears streaming down our faces, squeezing our legs together, folding over, holding our stomachs, slapping our knees.... ya, we have some pretttttty hilarious stories to share! Yet in the same instance, our audience was definitely entertained by us, but I feel they lacked the understanding and appreciation we had. Not that they werent great - they laughed along, but I think they more thought we were insane than simply hilarious. Or maybe they were giving my mom those looks.... after all, Im the innocent victim in all these stories.

So for lack of an eruption of laughter from our audience, I wont make you sit through all of the stories we have. Ill choose one of the funnier ones that you can read and picture and laugh at. Hopefully I do it justice in writing....

So about 2 years ago, my family flew up north for my cousins wedding. We all flew separately since I was coming from school and my parents wanted to go early, so my sister and I arrived the same day, similar times and were picked up by my parents. We spent the day together, then prepped for the wedding that night. My mom and I had gone shopping a few weeks earlier and unexpectedly stumbled upon from adorable dresses. I searched and searched for a specific color shoes - which ended up being pumps - and Mom made me a matching sash. So we made our way to the wedding, which happened to be in a grassy park... Mental note. If I ever go to something and I know it is going to be in the grass, do NOT wear heels. Im not an experienced heel walker and had to walk on my tiptoes to avoid having my heels sink into the grass. Boy were my legs tired.

We then made our way to the reception in downtown Sac town following the ceremony. Luckily, I was able to take my shoes off during a majority of the reception. After the reception, around 1030 at night, we headed back to our car. We began walking down the street of downtown Sac town, my mom and sister several steps ahead of me, my stepdad one or two steps in front of me, and me bring up the rear. My legs were shaking from exhaustion, my feet were sore from the unfamiliar height, but I told myself just a few more blocks. But they decided to take a break all on their own.

I stepped off a curb into the alley and instantly felt myself beginning to collapse. My legs folded underneath me and I found myself sitting on the ground. Steve was immediately to my side, as my mom and sister took a second to turn around and acknowledge my odd position of sitting on the sidewalk. My mom stared down at me for a second before she said, "Are you kidding me??" I looked up at her, helpless, as in gosh Mom, you got me!

Before I could respond though, Steve chimed in, "Uh honey, Im pretty sure she just fell..." And I was back on my feet due to the swift and quick movement of Steve. I kinda dusted myself off, all the while my mom is still standing a few feet ahead of me, trying to figure out if I was for real or not.

"Mom, I wouldnt have taken a joke all the way to the ground at 1030 at night in downtown Sacramento..." Suddenly she seemed to believe I wasnt full of it and asked if I was ok. We managed to make our way back to the car, all the while, Steve clung to me and I to him to avoid another walking mishap.

And there is one - just one - of our stories we share. Hopefully you got a good belly laugh out of it.... We definitely werent laughing at 1030 at night. I dont think we really laughed about it that night. And the next day I realized I really did hurt myself, so it was still a bit of a sore topic. But it didnt take long for us to recall the incident and laugh hysterically all the way through... As many of our stories go...

1 comment:

  1. hahaha... I'm pretty sure we were laughing as we got in the car.. ;) you're such a great story teller! and faller!

    ReplyDelete