Monday, December 5, 2011

Dress for Success

This past Friday night, I got dressed up. Yup. Me. Miss pjs all day, never wears make-up, barely brushes her hair, all about the comfort. Got all fancy. Why, might you ask? Well Friday was CBUs Christmas dinner banquet (kinda equivalent to a prom, but without the fun of dancing). And I got asked for the first time. Hes just a friend - dont even give it a second thought. Actually, I got asked twice. Its a mildly tragic story, but chances are itll be another blog to share.

So, I went with my friend, Kyle. Who, is actually my friend, Kaihla, dates friend. Confused? My friend, Kaihla went with Michael. Michaels friend is Kyle. Now that were all caught up, Ill move on. I had searched (at a very unaggressive rate) during Thanksgiving break to find a dress to wear to the event. Luckily, my stress was there, but minimal because we are just friends. I decided to wear a dress I had worn to a Winter Formal in high school. Thankfully, it still fit and is a gorgeous dress. I planned to wear my sparkly black flip flops and large black coat, since I knew it would be a very cold night.

To be honest, I was excited to go when I was asked, but that excitement kinda dissipated. I become stressed in these situations. I try to remember that its fun in the moment - prepping for everything and I usually enjoy the event I head to. But nevertheless, as I came back to school last Sunday night, I just couldnt amp myself up for Yule on Friday night.

Then, my week turn an interesting turn (not in a good way). It wasnt particularly busy. In fact, I completed all the things I needed to and wasnt stressed about school things hardly at all. But, if you read a past blog, youll see why I just was not feeling a celebratory, elegant event. I was in a very solemn mood all week, not wanting to talk to anyone or be around anyone. When Friday rolled around, I really was not excited for Yule at all. I was wishing I hadnt been asked. I was wishing I didnt have to get all dressed up. I was wishing I could throw on my sweatshirt and sweatpants and head home for the weekend.

In those moments, I grow so grateful for my mom and my sister. Who have very different ways of encouraging me, but both relay that they understand. My mom understood my mood and matched it out of her own empathy, telling me I would have fun and everything will be great. My sister understood my hesitation during prepping and tried to get me excited about everything, adding hundreds of exclamation points in her texts she was sending. Despite my desire to wave my friends off and climb into bed, having my 2 other musketeers texting me support provided a needed push.

Kaihla, Kayla, and I prepared. Doing our hair, make-up, and whatever else has to be done for these events. Kayla left first with her date - a true symbol of who "Lady in Red" was written for. Kaihla and I were running a little behind, but finally got our dresses on and headed out the door (only 25 minutes past the original plan of departure). I think Kyle was a little surprised at me. After all, we had hung out several times in the beginning of the week and before break and my attire consisted of jeans or pajamas, no makeup, and hair thrown up. Not my best looks, but Ive never been someone who has a burning desire to impress everyone I meet with my high-class fashion sense and easily-hidden good looks. Maybe its a good thing... Its mostly not, but I just dont really care. Anyways, I think Kyle was a little surprised to see how I clean up... which, I was too with the way I was feeling.

We headed to the Grand Californian for our event. Made it with plenty of time. Found our table. Connected with a few friends. [Actually Kyle connected with half the crowd... apparently my date is quite the social butterfly, which isnt really a secret to me.] Ate a pretty delicious dinner. Listened to a hilarious comedian. Walked around Downtown Disney a little. Headed back to school, with a pitstop at Cheesecake Factory for coffees/milkshakes/cheesecake. Then headed back to our apartment.

from left to right: Sam (Kaylas date), Kayla (my roommate), Kyle (my date), me, Kaihla, Michael (Kaihlas date)

Sorry if the description of the night was brief and boring... it really was fun. Of course, I would have rathered a DJ than a comedian, but apparently Baptists do not dance. So, that was just out of the question. But in all, I had a good time. Kyle was a very sweet date. We had a real good time. I loved seeing a few of my friends. The comedian provided some many needed laughs. It really was a good time!

But, boy, I was exhausted and ready for bed when I got back to my apartment. Sleeping until almost 11 the next day proved how true that was! (I may put a few more pictures up... seeing as I was not the camera possessor, Im stealing these. Muhaha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment