Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Mascara is - apparently - NOT Waterproof

In case you ignored context behind the title, I will tell you: you probably will cry in this. If you have a heart. Which, of my readers, I am the one without a heart and I have been crying most of the afternoon, so you better grab the tissues if you really want to read this.

I have a professor here (well, I have several professors here) who I adore. This professor is my favorite. I have had him for three classes. Freshman year, I had him for my first class. Literally, my first class of my college career - Anatomy and Physiology. One of the hardest classes Ive taken. Partly cuz it was at 7am, partly cuz it was a very tedious class, partly cuz I was a freshman and the college thing was new to me, and partly cuz my professor was a very hard one. His tests were killer. The class was huge, so he couldnt get to know each student individually. But he prayed before every class. He had an open door policy and was willing to help his students if they showed they wanted it. He would share about his family, showing us how much he loved them.

I distinctly remember one day, he was in the middle of teaching and he stopped. He was obviously a little distracted and he decided to share why. His son, Harrison, had had a grand mal seizure just the night before. He wanted to stop to pray for his son and asked us to join him in it. The concern on his face was evident, as Im sure Im not the only one who prayed for his son after leaving the room.

The second half of the next semester, I had General Biology with him and I got to really know him. He shared he had wanted to be a veterinarian originally. We bonded over that. Hes the kinda professor who stops lecture to ask what type of lollipop I had in my mouth. I adore him. Hes hilarious and yet, the thing I admire most about him is the way he talks about his family and the way he loves the Lord. And in it all, he is the most humble man I know. Sure he jokes around, but he is truly the most respectable and honorable, most inspirational professor Ive ever had. He cared about his students and will do anything to help them succeed.

The next year, I had him for another class and it was the same way. I was given another opportunity to get to know him better. Again, one of the toughest classes Ive taken, but I adored him as a professor and man of God too much to complain or drop it. One weekend, I decided I needed to just go home because I felt as if the world was collapsing on me. I emailed my professors to tell them I would miss class on Monday. On Tuesday, in lab, he came to talk to me, asking how I was doing and providing some words of encouragement... My only professor who extended a hand like that.

I go in to talk to him, seek out his advice, see how he is doing, etc. I just adore Dr. Prins. He knows so much about the "excitement" of my life. And he advises me based on his own experiences. He cracks me up, but I find his wise and always inciteful.

Yesterday afternoon, I received notice that last night, Dr. Prins' son, Harrison, has gone home to be with his Creator. Ive met Harrison a few times and his heart is as big as the ocean. He was full of the joy of the Lord and only wanted to share it with the people surrounding him. He genuinely cared about people, even if he had just met you. He was definitely his fathers son.

My heart just broke for my professor and his family, who are some of the kindest and welcoming people I have ever met. I am confident Harrison is dancing with the Lord, all his difficulties are gone. But it doesnt always help in the moment with grief.

Last night, I caught him on facebook (yes, were friends, which came about out of a joke). I told him I was praying for him and his family, not expecting him to respond. But he did. He continues to praise the Lord for the things he knows to be true in his life... even in the midst of losing his child. At one point, he told me he hoped his other boys marry caring girls like me. My heart swelled. I just hope that one day, my father in law is like Dr. Prins.

Pray for this family. They need the prayers and the support. They know Harrison is with the Lord, which does help, but does not diminish the pain. Thank you for your prayers and for making it through this post... Hopefully it wasnt too tough for you to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment