Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Confessions from the Battlefield

Yes, I have homework. Yes, I need to study. But I had to share a confession with my small following. My aim is to write this in 10 minutes or less... something that seems to be impossible for me to do. But I aim to set a record for myself. After all, I have plenty to do...

As Ive mentioned in a previous post, I am enrolled in a kickboxing class. Given, spending $200 for this kickboxing class was not in my realm of things to do this semester, but Ive been like a fly to one of those light zappers with the Kinesiology chair, trying to convince him to start a kickboxing class. Well, now I had to take it... I mean, they might as well have named the class after me!

So were now in week 4 of classes. Which means, Ive had several kickboxing classes under my belt. I have a few kickboxing stories to share, but thats not really the purpose of this post... Like I said, I have a bit of a confession. Though, I think its something we can all confess to. But we choose to not... Let me explain.

My hands are thrashed. I mean, they are bruised and hurting and close to bleeding in one area. Why?? Well, my instructor wanted us to get a feel for the bag before we start using gloves to protect ourselves. That, and our equipment has yet to arrive. (It should be in on Thursday, giving us the opportunity to begin sparing with each other! Im actually a little nervous for that...) Anyways, my hands are pretty bruised from punching the bag. It really looks like Ive gotten in a fight. Given, I dont want to be labeled as "the girl who obviously fights.... I mean, look at her hands!" But in the same instance, its kinda cool.

Which brings me to my confession... I like bruises. Well. I dont like getting them. And I dont like them when they are causing me pain and discomfort. But I like the appearance a bruise has. The story it hides. Theyre called battle wounds for a reason! Ive had so many bruises in my life. Believe me, I shouldve documented them. And no they werent attractive, but I earned those puppies! In waterpolo, I got the worst best bruises. Again, it wasnt fun actually getting them, but when the bruise appears, you cant help but smile to yourself.

Lets face it. We all hope to get a mark when we hurt ourselves. Sometimes, the story may be a little too embarrassing to tell, so in those cases we hope theres no evidence, or we make up a story. But in those instances where you really hurt yourself and you cry, "Ouch! That smarts!" Youre following that up with, "That better be a bruise tomorrow!" Its human nature! Then when that huge bruise appears on your arm, youre secretly wishing people will notice so you can tell your story. Because whatever the story is, however big the mark may be, you are still standing! YOU have WON! You fought a hard battle and now you have something to show for it back on the homefront. If you are thinking "Yes. Yes. Totally." And possibly admiring your own battle wound youve recently received, you are not alone, my friend. There are others like you! I am one of them! Show off that black and blue!

Ive had plenty of bruises I dont care to tell the story for... Like when I slid off the bed and had a bruise literally from my knee to my hip. Not a classy move on my part, but the bruise was memorable. Or when I got elbowed in the face in practice at waterpolo and immediately a goose egg developed on my forehead along with some nice bruising the next few days. Not pretty, but I emerged from the battlefield. Or how in my sisters wedding photos, you can easily see bruises on my chest and arm... obviously I was in the middle of season. Not really something that adds beauty on such a historic event.

And now, I have bruised hands. 
From punching a bag. 
In my kickboxing class.

I think Ill take that story... I just gotta deal with the pain a little. But we all love a good story to share. If there are props... it only makes it better!

And because everyone loves a good picture...
Here are my fresh wounds...
Kinda hard to see, but
Not even black and blue yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment